Monday, July 7, 2008

Doing My Best

Everyday I strive to be the very best mommy I can be. I guess that is kind of a funny statement. I suppose most parents strive to do their best, and those that don't probably shouldn't be parents after-all. With that being said, I really struggled today. It is always a challenge on days that Nathan is gone longer than his average 7:30 to 4:00 shift. Tonight he went to "Bike Night" to see if he could get any interest on his motorcycle. He should be home soon.

The boys can be a real challenge for me on a day to day basis. Joel is at the age now where his listening skills are not that great. Its very frustrating. It feels like pulling teeth just to get him to follow simple instructions. I know it is normal for his age group, but it really is hard. I miss my sweet little boy who was always eager to please. I know its all a part of him becoming a grown man, but I just wish I had the manual on parenting so that I knew how to curb some of this behavior in the long run.

I took the boys to the park this afternoon. We had the whole place to ourselves which was nice for a change. I was able to sit back and watch the boys play. It was quite windy though so it was hard to know how to dress. One minute it was too hot and then the wind would pick up and you'd be freezing. It was really nice to get out of the house for a bit and cure some of the cabin fever I obtain being a stay at home mom. It can be really challenging to keep yourself from being bored when everyday is the same. I am really looking forward to September, when Joel goes to preschool and I can get a bit of a break from him. I love him but I think we will both benefit from having some time apart.

I have been trying to get closer to God lately. I am trying to read my bible and pray on a more regular basis. Today while the boys were napping I went into my room, closed the door and read a few chapters of Matthew. Then I prayed about it and fell asleep. I have been letting my faith slip lately and I want to pick it back up. Its a very important part of who I am and I have been so apathetic about it lately.

Striving to do my very best
Kendra

2 comments:

Kate said...

You are the best mom. I know I feel how you do most days. And lemme tell you, preschool is a huge blessing. lol. Even though it's only two and a half hours, it's time apart. And Vanessa always came home eager to tell me all about it.

Good for you, trying to strengthen your faith. I need to reconnect too. I've been thinking lately of all the little (big) things that I've let slip lately. Hope you're feeling the spirit more.

*hugs* You're such a wonderful person Kendra!

Nicole said...

Youre doing the best you can, and that is always enough. You ARE a great mom. I know all the little things in the day can be discouraging and frustrating, especially when you get very little adult interaction....
but you know, I was thinking the other day, that I much prefer being a SAHM to working in a retail store or an office somewhere, and trying to juggle work and family life.

I recently read a book that said sometimes we can only be "Good Enough Parents", and that kind of changed my perespective a little bit. I love my daughter, but I cannot be Perfect, and I am not Supermom.

I have also let my spiritual life, especially my daily prayer life, falter since Ive become a mother. I just feel so drained, emotionally and physically, that it's difficult for me to get intimate with God sometimes. So I know how that feels.
Luckily, your boys both still take naps, so you can get a break in the middle of the day. Thank goodness for that!!!

Nicole (aka Blue from Kiwibox)