Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Two Very Special Birthdays Today

Well Joel is officially 4 today! It really is hard to believe that 4 years has past already, but I think pretty much every parent on the planet would have to agree. There little lives pass so very quickly. It really makes me sad. Last night as I was laying in bed falling asleep I felt quite guilty that I have been wishing preschool to hurry up and get here. I had this huge realization that I wouldn't get him all to myself anymore and I felt overwhelmingly sad. I guess I just kept thinking that it would be nice to get a break from him and never realized that its one step closer to him being a fully grown man. I know that sounds absurd, but if 4 years has gone by in the blink of an eye, what makes the other 14 go any slower. I just wish for one minute I could slow down the hands of time, or go back in time to relive him as an infant. To hold him close and smell him. I am getting all chocked up just thinking about it.

Today is also my Papa's birthday. He turns 80 today! Its also hard for me to believe that he is that old! I hate to think that he only has a short amount of time left on this earth. Most likely less than 20 years, so that means before I turn 43 I will more than likely have to say goodbye to a man that has meant so much to me for my whole life. A great man! A man who has been a strong rock for my entire family! Who has helped raise me and care for me! I am so very lucky to have the Grandfather that I have. He has been more like my father than my own dad has. I love him dearly!

So it looks like Nathan has most likely sold his bike. He is just waiting for the guy to go to the bank and get the money. Its a bittersweet moment for Nathan and I really do hate that he has to sell it. Motorcycling has always been a huge part of his life, ever since the time he was about 5 and he rode on behind his dad, so its like selling a piece of who he is. Man this is a sappy entry. Sorry about that. I guess I feel a little sentimental and nostalgic today.

Here are a few pictures of Joel as he has grown up, and a couple of my Papa too.
2 Days Old

6 Months Old

1 Year Old

18 Months Old

2 Years Old

3 Years Old

4 Years Old

And My Papa

2 comments:

Kate said...

Happy birthday to Joel. Gosh he's a cutie!!

It's so hard to know that our "babies" were once so small and helpless.

I feel guilty too about hoping school would hurry up and happen. Our kiddos have so much school ahead of them, I just want her to be that annoying 4 year old who asks "why" about everything, for awhile longer.

Hope Joel had a great birthday!

Nicole said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to JOEL! I hope he had a great day!
It is very bittersweet, how they get bigger and more independent. They grow up too darn fast, I think!

And how neat that he can share his birthday with your Papa. I have a Papa too, who is in his 70s. Everytime we visit our families, I wonder how many more times we'll get to spend with our grandparents. I hope your Papa has many more Happy Birthdays on this earth!

"Blue"

PS: My word verification was "uhohpeeo!" LOL random silly moment!